Sunday, November 23, 2008

Devotional for the day

Devotional for today


November 23, 2008
From infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
II Timothy 3:15 (NIV)

I can’t think about the Bible for very long without remembering Grandma Fellman. She lived to be ninety-eight and kept her Bible beside her always.
A couple of years ago her now elderly daughter, my aunt, sent me that Bible. Its leather cover is worn and tattered, and some of the pages have come loose from the binding and are threatening to fall out. Several people have suggested that I have it restored, but I like it the way it is. Holding it with the spine in my palm, I can feel the impression of Grandma’s hand. She held it that way with me on her lap and her arms around me as we read chapter after chapter.
For some people the Bible is just a complicated collection of sixty-six books by thirty-nine authors spanning thousands of years, a historical document needing criticism and correction. Not so for Grandma Fellman. She often told me, “Honey, this book, from beginning to end, is about one thing: the Savior Jesus. The old part is about how we lost touch with God and He made a plan to send Jesus to bring us back. The new part tells Jesus’ life story and how He wants us to live. Follow His way and you will never go wrong.”
I hope that the next time Grandma sees Jesus, she’ll tell Him that lots of us down here are trying to follow His way and she’ll ask Him to keep being patient with us.
Lord Jesus, thank You for the Scriptures that tell us Your story. Help us to live together in Your way.
By Eric Fellman of
http://ourprayer.org

2 comments:

Kim Caro said...

hello, love the turkey post below, great verse!

Amy's Treasures said...

thanks. :)